Here’s some additional travel tip information in regards to kennelling or traveling with your pet:
- Finding a kennel to board your pet near your airline or destination versus near your home is a great idea if you want to drop off or pick up your pet as soon as you leave or come back.
- Provide up to date immunization records.
- Provide any needed medications.
- Treat your pet for fleas, i.e. Frontline, to ensure your pet won’t be uncomfortable during its kennel stay by catching fleas from a playmate.
- Playtimes will be offered at an extra fee.
- Some offer beds and televisions for pets at an additional expense.
- Know your emergency contact info.
Pack for Pets (for kennelling or your own pet sitter):
- Have a designated pet bag to place supplies in.
- Food (take enough food for the length of the pet’s stay and enough for an extra day’s worth just in case.)
- Toy (not a favorite one just in case it gets lost)
- Pillow (if bedding is not provided)
- Double sided bowl to avoid juggling seperate bowls for food and water (if needed)
- Keep a copy of shot records in pet bag at all times.
Flying With Pets
- Make sure your pet has used the bathroom before arriving to the airport. Chances are there won’t be any grassy areas nearby.
- Be prepared to take your pet out of it’s carrier during security check. Perhaps practice removing and replacing your pet in it’s carrier at home to get your pet used to how it may feel.
- Bring along treats or a familiar toy to help soothe pet a little if they become anxious.
- Be aware that most airlines do not want pets to have any sedation.
- Check into your local pet store for anxiety aids to see if any may help your pet.
- Make sure that pet carrier is compliant with airline guidelines.
- Keep leash with you and not your checked-in luggage in case you’re able to allow them to stretch their legs after the flight.
- Keep a copy of shot records with you just in case. Or have your pet’s veterinary hospital info with you in case records need to be faxed to a veterinarian where you are visiting.
- Apply flea protectant for pet in the event you are exposed to them on walks.